Given the weirdness of the name and the goofiness of the press release, I am unsure if this is an early April Fools joke, but in the interest of passing along the knowledge (and I found it amusing), see below. And hopefully I didn’t get punk’d.
!! Breaking Craft Beer News !!
Feb 28, 2012, 07:46PM CDT
MANDEVILLE (AP) – In what is sure to be the biggest shake-up in the Craft Beer World since it was discovered that “hops” actually referred to a plant used in brewing and not what most NBA players have lots of, the formerly well known and established (on paper at least) Mandeville, LA based Pelican Brewing Company, has been renamed and is now known as the Chafunkta Brewing Company. Rumor has it that multiple lawyers (strangely all from Mandeville) were involved, and that Josh & Jamie Erickson, the proud owners of Chafunkta Brewing Company, had no other choice but to make the name change (word is that Mr. Erickson has little to no tolerance for overpriced lawyers taking craft beer money away from craft beer brewers).When asked about it, Mr. Erickson said “How can I possibly in good conscience allow money which could be spent on grains, hops, and yeast, instead go towards paying for rounds of golf where herds of lawyers spend hours drinking countless “XXX-Light” beers and continuously wondering when the taste will come?”.
Truth be told, inside sources have confirmed that it really wasn’t lawyers that prompted the name change, but instead it was simply that Mr. Erickson wished to avoid any confusion of his tasty brews with those brewed by a well-known similarly named Brewpub out on the West Coast, but only Mr. Erickson and the one upstairs knows the truth about that (rumor also has it that his wife lives upstairs).
Regardless, what we can all look forward to with this late-breaking news is that there should no longer be any confusion on the age old question, “Which Pelican Brewery is this beer from again?”. And that alone is the only reason one should need to raise a pint and toast the newly formed Chafunkta Brewing Company! So cheers to them, and cheers to all of you craft beer fans for your continued support of craft beer and their breweries, no matter what they’re called!
-Associated Press (aka Josh & Jamie Erickson, proud owners of the Chafunkta Brewing Company)
I hope everyone had a happy and safe Mardi Gras and that you all took advantage of the increase in quality canned beers to enjoy craft brew while out and about watching parades and such.
Couple of things:
- If you’re a homebrewer and shop at Brewstock, make sure to sign up for the 2012 Brewstock Buyers Club for free in order to accumulate points that will count toward discount on future purchases. It’s free to join, so don’t be a fool and pass this up!
- The gypsy brewer that created Stillwater Artisinal Brewing, Brian Strumke, will be in town to promote the release of his new beer, Kopsttotje, which is inspired by the Dutch tradition of beer to be served with a shot of Bols Genever (basically, a type of gin.) Oh, the Dutch. I love you and your ways! Anyway, you can meet Brian tonight at Cure from 5-7. Belloq from 11pm till late or tomorrow night at the Avenue Pub at 6pm. A very interesting tradition, and New Orleans is one of ten American cities to be chosen for this event!
- NOLA Brewing’s “Brewer’s Crack” (a delicious combination of Irish Channel Stout and Hopitoulous IPA) will be on cask on Friday, which is something that I, personally, will be looking forward to all week long. I remember last year’s cask got kicked within an hour and a half of tapping, so get there early!
- The dates of 2012’s American Craft Beer Week have been set, May 14-19. The Avenue Pub’s big tasting will be that Saturday the 19th. Stay tuned for announcements of events all over town!
- New Orleans International Beer Festival (previously known as Top of the Hops) will be at Champions Square on March 24.
That’s all the news fit to print so far on this dreary Monday morning. Let visions of beer get you through the day and the week…
Posted in Beer Bar, Event, Homebrewing
Tagged avenue pub, cask ale, events, homebrewing, NOLA Beer Bitch, real ale, release, shot and a beer, Stillwater
As you may or may not have heard, NOLA Brewing and Stone’s collaboration beer, Pour Me Something Mistah was released yesterday at the Avenue Pub. The Beer Bitch liked it, the Beer Buddha… not so much.
Check out both their reviews!
NOLA Beer Bitch
Just goes to show, different strokes for different folks. (Whatchoo talkin’ about, Willis?)
Two blog posts of note regarding NOLA Brewing shenanigans (Click the links to read all about it!)
1) Saturday’s Krewe du Brew release of seasonal favorite Flambeau Red with accompanying pub crawl.
2) NOLA Brewing’s new tap handle for their newest beer, which is HELLA COOL.
Also, go support the launch of Lucky Town Brewery by going to Kickstarter and pledging! They are so close to being half way there!
Posted in Brewery News, Event
Tagged brewery, events, Flambeau Red, Krewe du Brew, Mardi Gras, NOLA Beer Bitch, NOLA Brewing, pub crawl, release, seasonal beer French Quarter